Ingredients for Cake
- 200g finely chopped dates
- 50g EssieSpice TamarindOH® sauce https://www.essiespice.com/shop/tamarindoh
- 250g unsalted butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g shelled walnuts, roughly chopped
Preparation of Cake
Line the base and sides of two 6" cake pans with nonstick baking paper, and heat the oven to 350F.
Put the dates, TamarindOH® & 300ml water in a pan, bring to a boil.
Boil for a minute, remove from the heat, add the butter, & set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
Add the brown sugar, stir, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Beat in the flour & bicarbonate of soda, then stir in the walnuts.
Spoon the cake mix equally into the cake pans & bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the cake comes out clean. Remove & leave to cool.
Simple Tamarind Caramel Recipe
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons Tamarind
- Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in heavy deep medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and increase heat and bring syrup to boil, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Boil without stirring until syrup turns dark amber color, swirling pan occasionally, about 13 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir caramel until smooth. Add two tablespoons of EssieSpice TamarindOH® sauce for the grande finale!